What about those that are single? February can be brutal, when bombarded with images of couples all the time. Comparisons between self and others can easily enter our thought process and bring on feelings of being unlovable or unworthy. Some worry they will never find someone who will simply love them. As February 14th approaches it can be a day filled with dread, sadness, and anxiety while some wonder, when will it be my turn?
Instead of having all these expectations of what others should do and how they should do it, Shouldn’t YOU… Love Yourself More? Sounds easy, right? Wrong! Have you ever had the thought, “if he would just…. then I would feel loved,” or “if they would just….. I would feel loved.” What happened to loving ourselves first? When we love ourselves it makes it easier for others to love us. It makes us more giving, more aware, more available. It is so easy to say but how do you do it?
Is loving yourself simply setting aside time to take a long bath, read a book, watch that movie you have been dying to see, sitting and talking to a friend, or giving yourself one day without negative self-talk? It can be any of these things or anything important to you. Self love is at the core of your well-being, it is extremely important and impacts everything you do, you think, and how you act.
What would our world be like if we all started to just LOVE OURSELVES MORE? What would YOUR world be like if YOU started to just LOVE YOURSELF MORE?
Here are some ways to start loving yourself more (what would be on your list?):
1) Start with one day a week stopping any negative self-talk. Every time a negative thought pops into your head, tell yourself to stop, and replace it with a positive thought. For example: Ugh, I that looks ugly on me! Change to: Wow, my hair looks great today. Cheesy, I know but you get the point. Negative thoughts have a way of creeping in and I would venture to bet we don’t even realize how many times a day they are popping up.
2) Spend some time alone. Even if all you can find is 10 minutes, DO IT! Turn off the electronics and simply BE! Easier said than done but OH, once you start you will want this time every day. If you have more time, go for a walk, go to that favorite store, or better yet somewhere you have wanted to go and haven’t.
3) Write yourself a love letter! Who would have thought, try it, it can be challenging but so rewarding in the end.
4) Go to bed early! What?!? Who has time for this? You do! Come on, it’s just one night. Do it, it will energize you. Everything will still be waiting for you the next day and it will be easier to accomplish.
5) Change your focus! How many of us focus on our outer appearance? What if you focus on who you want to be on the inside? Beautiful things can come from this.
Overall, it is sometimes hard to love ourselves, but wouldn’t it be worth it to give it a try just once?